Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pruning Black Raspberries for the Best Flowers and Fruit

It seems like I got to pruning my black raspberry bushes and grape vines a bit late this year as there was so much business travel, but at the same time, the weather is still quite mild so I'm hopeful that it was not too late to produce some good fruit this year. Research tells me that I should have pruned them about 2-3 weeks ago. The other thing I learned is that I should be pruning black raspberries 3 times per year. Once in mid March, then after growth in mid summer, cutting back the tips - called "tipping", and then finally after the fruit, removing those canes that produced the fruit. Let's hope they flower freely and set many blossoms. For more detailed information, please visit the MSU site and the OSU site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home